Thursday, June 21, 2007

Eyes Opening

This morning I had the opportunity to speak at the Smithtown Sunrise Rotary Club at their breakfast meeting. I am also a Rotarian, a member of the Northport, NY Club. I was to speak about my new book, "Simple Happiness, 52 Easy Ways to Lighten Up". I speak to all kinds of groups, but they can usually be broken down into two kinds: one - whose attendees came specifically to hear me speak and two - those who are at the meeting because they are part of a group, not necessarily to hear me; I just happen to be the speaker.
Today was the second kind of group.
It's such a thrill when people's attention becomes more focused on what I'm saying. People turn their chairs to get a more comfortable viewing point. But it's the eyes that tell the story. Little by little I see many pairs of eyes opening wide as if to say "You're getting to me. I'm going to try that tomorrow."
After 20 minutes or so of talking I could feel the group becoming empowered about their ability to choose a life of happiness and joy instead of living life by default. The simple idea of embracing the precious gift of life as we open our eyes to start our day. Being grateful for the ability to get out of bed under our own power rather than taking it for granted. Little turns in consciousness, little decisions to choose thoughts that make us feel good. Today I choose to fashion my life rather than to live by default. Today I choose to make myself a little happier, a little less disturbable.

No comments: