Friday, May 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Audiences

I delivered two talks this week and the results were miles apart. I learned a good lesson from the first one.
I was hired to give a talk at a dinner for a women's group last Wednesday and a Conference group on Thursday. The focus of the women's group was a social dinner to close out their season. I happened to be the speaker. Chatty women,sitting at round tables (some had their backs to me),eating dinner, enjoying a glass of wine or two do not make the most attentive of audiences. I was talking over a constant drone of conversation most of the time. Next time I will make my talk brief and hard hitting.
I got a lot of good feedback from those who listened but I felt it was a struggle the whole way.
Yesterday I spoke at a breakout session at the LI Library Conference, held at the Crest Hollow Country Club. Over 300 attended, (about 100 more that the sponsor had anticipated). I had them in the palm of my hand the entire time. It was one of the best audiences I've ever addressed. I even got a chance to be funny, reacting to the input from the folks. The feedback was enthusiastic as evidenced by my book sales and email signups.
It was indeed a Tale of Two Audiences. I've learned my lesson.

No comments: