Thursday, July 19, 2007

Why Are Some Things Difficult?

During my meditation this morning a revealing thought came to me. (That's what happens sometimes when you meditate). I've written a book, "Simple Happiness, 52 Easy Ways to Lighten Up". It came out at the end of last year. It's a self published book and as a result, the marketing of the book is up to me. Sales of the book are going well, but I always wish they were doing better. When people ask me "How's the book doing?" I always say "Great!" but inside I wish it were doing better. I quietly tell myself that it's a difficult task to market my book along with all the other things I have to do to make a living and support my family.

I realized this morning that it is this insidious self-talk (telling myself that it's a difficult task to market the book) is what is keeping the book from being a national best seller. People who have read the book really like it and have gone out of their way to tell me so.

The first chapter of the book is "We Become What We Think About". Here I am thinking that marketing the book is difficult. Guess what? By hanging on to these thoughts, the marketing of the book has felt like a struggle to me. Today I'm going to take a piece of my own advice. When I catch myself in this negative mode of thinking, I'm going to say to myself, "Oops, there I go again" and then tell myself that marketing the book is easy and fun and soon everybody will be reading "Simple Happiness". I will also savor the accompanying good feelings that come with that positive thought.

I've learned two things today:
1. Meditation is a very worthwhile and productive activity.
2. Follow my own advice. (It leads to success and happiness)

With Love and Hope,
Jim

No comments: