Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Hope You Dance

The Hauppague Industrial Association--a grass-roots, pro-active 30- year old business organization that focuses on the economic health and well-being of its member companies and that of the entire Long Island business community--held a talent content last month.

As a member of the association and a "ham" when it comes to getting in front of an audience, you might have already guessed that I happily participated. It was hosted by David Weiss of WLNY-TV 55 at the Sheraton LI Hotel. The distinguished panel of Judges included HIA co-founder and Chairman Jack Kulka and board members Tony Leteri of Leteri Waste Management and Rita DiStefano of Portnoy, Messinger, Pearl & Associates.

As indicated in the HIA Reporter, their monthly newsletter, my performance "delivered a skillful rendition of the Eagles’ 1973 classic 'Peaceful Easy Feeling'." One of six competitors, I was pleased to walk away in second place with a score of 10, 10 and 9, a very large trophy and my own peaceful, easy feeling!

When life comes at you with opportunities that may intimidate you, feel the fear and then do it anyway. You are likely to be pleasantly surprised with a memorable experience.

I share with you words of wisdom from a song by Lee Ann Womack that I sing at many of my motivational talks -- "And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance... I hope you dance!"

Jim

No comments: