Monday, October 12, 2009

A Physical Crossroad

My son and daughter in law were visiting from Boston two weeks ago to attend a family wedding. It was a great weekend. The wedding was on Sunday, my son and daughter in law arrived Friday night so we had all day Saturday to have fun. My son and I played 9 holes of golf and got home at about 10:30 just in time to enjoy a bountiful breakfast prepared by my wife. We chatted about many things one of which was tennis. I suggested that we go to the local high school courts and hit a bit. The three of us hit the courts - my son on one side and my daughter in law and I on the other.
What an eye opening experience for me. Granted I haven't played tennis in about one year, but I used to be a pretty decent player. I couldn't move at all. I could only return the ball if it was hit right back to me. I was embarrassed by my poor play. They were both outplaying me. I struggled for about an hour before calling it quits.
I realized that I was at a physical crossroads. I had a choice to make. Either I could forget about playing tennis for the rest of my life and just stick to golf... Or I could make an effort to get back into some kind of shape that would allow me not to embarrass myself of the courts. All of my children play tennis and now even my grandaughter is beginning to take lessons. This could be a very pleasant family activity that I would love to participate in.
Certainly I would only be able to participate if I could get my legs and wind back. I have been walking two miles about five mornings a week, but that has done nothing for my quickness and ability to move to get to the tennis ball.
So I decided. I'm not ready to give up on tennis just yet. I have begun a conditioning regimen which now includes jogging along with the walking. My goal is to build up to jogging one mile without stopping. I've been out every morning that it hasn't been raining. It's going to happen. That is my intention.

No comments: